This pizza sauce might just blow your mind. Please, please, please don't automatically dismiss it because of the anchovies; trust me, you could just eat this with a spoon! If you're "allergic" (cough) to anchovies (or for our truly seafood-allergic or vegetarian and vegan friends), by all means, leave them out, but they're like a mystical, magical ingredient that, just like Unicorn Tears and our Hunter's Bloodiest Caesar Rim that can do no wrong, will leave you in pizza-eating bliss like never before!! Makes 2 generous servings for 2 x 12-inch pizzas (or if you're less "saucy" than me, you could easily get 4 servings).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 28 ounce / 796 mL can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), crushed in a bowl with clean hands until relatively smooth in consistency (if the tomatoes contain basil, remove the basil and discard before cooking).
- 1 Tbsp / 15 mL Hunter's Bloodiest Caesar Rim
- Heat olive oil over medium-low heat in a saucepan; stir anchovy fillets into olive oil and cook, stirring often, until the fillets begin to sizzle, about 1 minute. Mix garlic into oil and cook just until fragrant, 1 minute more.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the olive oil mixture. Bring sauce to a bare simmer and season with the Hunter's Bloodiest Caesar Rim. Turn heat to low and continue to simmer sauce until thickened and oil rises to the top, 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
This recipe is good for two, saucy, 12-inch pizzas. You can easily multiply it (although the reduction process will take longer) and you can freeze extra portions for future use.
Mind = Blown.
Enjoy!! Saucily yours,