I wanted a BBQ sauce that would complement our Espresso & Chipotle Sea Salt, especially for cooking pork ribs on the BBQ! I really think this is the best!!
Yield: 3 cups
- 30 mL / 2 Tbsp avocado, grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 large sweet onion, minced (or if you prefer, use a brown onion)
- 6 large garlic cloves, grated with a microplane, or minced
- 1 156 mL / 5.5 oz can tomato paste
- 15 mL / 1 Tbsp LIFT Flavours Espresso & Chipotle Sea Salt
- 5 mL / 1 tsp cocoa powder
- 125 mL / 1/2 cup molasses
- 125 mL / 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 500 mL / 2 cup can stout beer of your choice (such as Perth Brewing Company’s Mocha Stout, or just plain ol’ Guinness) or even a porter
- 125 mL / 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 15 mL / 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high. Add the onion and sauté until opaque and softened, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic, turn the heat to medium and continue to cook for another couple of minutes.
- Turn the heat to low, add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate. Continue on low heat until the paste is an orangey-brownish, instead of bright red, about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the Espresso & Chipotle Sea Salt and cocoa powder. Cook a further two minutes on low. Keep on stirring a bit!
- Add the molasses, brown sugar, Stout and cider vinegar. Bring to a boil then reduce to medium and cook about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and reduced to 3 cups.
- Puree in a food processor or blender, if desired, for a smoother texture. Or, use as is!
- Taste for seasoning and sweetness. If you’ve used a stout instead of a porter, you may wish to sweeten it a bit further with the maple syrup.
- Reserve and refrigerate if not using immediately. Use within 3 days, or freeze in 1-cup containers for future use and consume within 3 months, if you can resist for that long!
This BBQ sauce is amazing on pork side ribs or chops, steaks, roasts, burgers or rotisserie chicken. Or, y'know, a spoon...!!
Serve with coleslaw, grilled corn on the cob or your favourite mash and steamed veg....